Like I said before in my previous postings on the topic, I took part in this bead swap to challenge myself, the challenge would be to create something from the main components given to me which were the focal piece and the clasp (and bonus is to get my name out there in the handmade jewellery community).
My partner was the fabulous polymer clay artist Zu, so I knew I would have been given something made from polymer clay.
I have lost count of the number of pieces I started, completed and then took apart because they weren't working.
I tried introducing colour, first turquoise then a lime green, but eh!eh! so I tried to stick to the colour palette I had and used tiny seed beads in silver and glossy grey and eh! eh!
So then I thought the problem was what I was making and decided to turn it into a bracelet, which I think would have worked but the beads kept fighting me and the weaving was tedious so I scrapped that idea, it was giving me at the time a serious headache.
After that bracelet fiasco I put the project away for a week and came back to it with a fresh perspective. I decided to use ribbon which was an idea I had from the beginning but I'm not sure why I didn't try it and thankfully the piece began to come together and I completed something I was 99% happy with.
Later that evening my mum came home and wanted to nick it so I knew the piece was pleasing to others as well (though our mothers are probably biased, so I asked my sis, who would be sure to not hold any criticisms back and she liked it too).
Buuutttttt, there is always a but, isn't there? Something still didn't feel right to me!
And so yesterday morning I tweaked it for about an hour the area that was troubling me and wha! la! it was finally pleasing to me 100% and to top it off the sun then decided to show itself for the first time in about a week plus, so I was able to take it outside and using a garden ornament as a prop I took the photos needed for this posting. Hmmm! Perfect.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
And now here it is the final product in its entirety.....
.
Now what to do with this piece, that is the question? Well I have been making jewellery for
quite a few years but rarely make anything for myself so I have decided to keep it for me and everytime I use it I will think of Zu, for the lovely stash she sent me, Lori for organising this beautiful swap fest and me for growing a little bit more in my jewellery making skills, I'm pretty proud of myself.
.
Hey I even made myself a couple of coordinating earrings.
.
By The way Zu is having a birthday giveaway on her blog, so take part to get a chance to win some of her fabulous creations..
.
Now don't forget to check out the other participants of the Bead Soup party swap, their links can be found below in this posting. There is also the Bead Soup Party button, which incidentally will link you back To Lori's page where all the participants names and links can also be found, so if you get lost while you blog hop, clicking on a Bead Soup Button on the other participants blogs should take you back to Lori's original list and links, you can also check out the flickr group's link.
Thanks for popping by and I hope to see you all again soon, here's wishing everyone a great blog hopping day! :)
.
Edited on the 09/04/2010: The sidebar links to Lori's original posting can now be found on my static group's page. The sidebar link will only be found in the sidebar during active Bead Soup Swap times plus for a period of six weeks following the reveal dates.
.
1. Lori, Pretty Things and the link to the party is in my sidebar
2. Mallory, For the Love of Beads
3. Terri, Blooming Ideas...You Are Here
4. Cindy, Sweet Bead Studio
5. Lorelei, Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
6. Kerry, Kabs Creative Concepts
7. Erin, Treasures Found
8. Jeannette, Jeannette Blix Wire and Metal Jewelry
9. Adrienne, Adrienne Designs
10. Nan, Spirit Rattles
11. Laurel, Rue's Daftique
12. Nancy, Beading From the Heart
13. Mary, MK's Creative Musings
14. Cassie, The Glass Beadle
15. Dot, Winchell Clayworks
16. Sharon, Sharon's Jewelry Garden
17. Lisa, Lo and Behold
18. Norma, Bead Dreams and Moonlit Fantaseas
19. Judith, Judith B.
20. Debbie, Prairie Emporium
21. Maria, Garden Path Beads
22. Susan, Kaplan Creations Jewelry and Glass Design
23. Melissa, Melissa Meman: Art, Love, Life
24. Marianna, Pretty Shiny Things
25. Lisa, Joolz by Lisa
26. Cristi, 2 If By Sea
27. Sandra, Marbella Jewelry Design
28. Maria, Greene Earth Originals
29. Barbara, Jewelry of Distinction
30. Leslie, Bei Mondi
31. Loretta, Designs by Loretta
32. Linda, Bella Bead Jewelry
33. Kathie, The Bead Cult
34. Patty, Plays With Fire
35. Nicki, Nicki's Reef
36. Anne Marie, Heart's Desire
37. Mary, Mary Harding Jewelry
38. Jayne, Mama's Got to Doodle
39. Emanda, Artemesia's Studio
40. Whitney, Whitney Lassini
41. Marcie, La Bella Joya
42. Suzann, Beadphoria
43. Jen, Jen Judd Rocks
44. Julie, Credit River Art Glass
45. Janiece, J Birds Garden
46. Kate, Organic Odysseys
47. Laurie, The Mermaid Tale
48. Michelle, My Crazy Crafty Adventure
49. Sue, Sue Beads
50. Janeen, Janeen 365
51. Nancy, The Rabbit Muse
52. Kristie, Artisan Clay
53. Regina, Regina's Writings
54. Tari, Pearl and Pebble
55. Lyn, Lyn Foley
56. Beth, Sunshine Daydreamz
57. Cathryn, Chile Cats
58. Emma, Fred Bean's Nook
59. Connie, Cetta Cheese Chatter
60. Juli, Jul's Beads
61. Julie, RockerJewlz
62. Libby, LibbyLeu and Glass Too
63. Melanie, Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
64. Katie, My Life and My Beads
65. Zuleykha, Zuleykha's Polymer Clay
66. Rekella, Me But a Little More in Depth
67. Ricki, What's New at Ricki Voges Design
68. Lisa, Lucid Moon Studio
69. Jo, Daisychain Jewellery
70. Lynette, Rock Hill Designs
71. Lynne, Island Girl's Insights
72. Chas, One Woman's Haven
73. Chas, One Woman's Haven
74. Ruthie, Rose Works Jewelry
75. Elizabeth, Turquoise Sky
76. Maire, Maire Dodd
77. Janet, Singing Woods
78. Eileen, Dorset Hill Beads
79. Julie, Miss Kitten's Jewels
80. Joann, Jo's Jewels
81. Patti, PJ Clark Designs
82. Mel, Kookie Designs
83. Erin, Every Heart Crafts
84. Dale, Flights of Fancy
85. Dee, Runako Designs
.
Blogshop: http://kellascreativewishes.blogspot.com/1. Lori, Pretty Things and the link to the party is in my sidebar
2. Mallory, For the Love of Beads
3. Terri, Blooming Ideas...You Are Here
4. Cindy, Sweet Bead Studio
5. Lorelei, Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
6. Kerry, Kabs Creative Concepts
7. Erin, Treasures Found
8. Jeannette, Jeannette Blix Wire and Metal Jewelry
9. Adrienne, Adrienne Designs
10. Nan, Spirit Rattles
11. Laurel, Rue's Daftique
12. Nancy, Beading From the Heart
13. Mary, MK's Creative Musings
14. Cassie, The Glass Beadle
15. Dot, Winchell Clayworks
16. Sharon, Sharon's Jewelry Garden
17. Lisa, Lo and Behold
18. Norma, Bead Dreams and Moonlit Fantaseas
19. Judith, Judith B.
20. Debbie, Prairie Emporium
21. Maria, Garden Path Beads
22. Susan, Kaplan Creations Jewelry and Glass Design
23. Melissa, Melissa Meman: Art, Love, Life
24. Marianna, Pretty Shiny Things
25. Lisa, Joolz by Lisa
26. Cristi, 2 If By Sea
27. Sandra, Marbella Jewelry Design
28. Maria, Greene Earth Originals
29. Barbara, Jewelry of Distinction
30. Leslie, Bei Mondi
31. Loretta, Designs by Loretta
32. Linda, Bella Bead Jewelry
33. Kathie, The Bead Cult
34. Patty, Plays With Fire
35. Nicki, Nicki's Reef
36. Anne Marie, Heart's Desire
37. Mary, Mary Harding Jewelry
38. Jayne, Mama's Got to Doodle
39. Emanda, Artemesia's Studio
40. Whitney, Whitney Lassini
41. Marcie, La Bella Joya
42. Suzann, Beadphoria
43. Jen, Jen Judd Rocks
44. Julie, Credit River Art Glass
45. Janiece, J Birds Garden
46. Kate, Organic Odysseys
47. Laurie, The Mermaid Tale
48. Michelle, My Crazy Crafty Adventure
49. Sue, Sue Beads
50. Janeen, Janeen 365
51. Nancy, The Rabbit Muse
52. Kristie, Artisan Clay
53. Regina, Regina's Writings
54. Tari, Pearl and Pebble
55. Lyn, Lyn Foley
56. Beth, Sunshine Daydreamz
57. Cathryn, Chile Cats
58. Emma, Fred Bean's Nook
59. Connie, Cetta Cheese Chatter
60. Juli, Jul's Beads
61. Julie, RockerJewlz
62. Libby, LibbyLeu and Glass Too
63. Melanie, Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
64. Katie, My Life and My Beads
65. Zuleykha, Zuleykha's Polymer Clay
66. Rekella, Me But a Little More in Depth
67. Ricki, What's New at Ricki Voges Design
68. Lisa, Lucid Moon Studio
69. Jo, Daisychain Jewellery
70. Lynette, Rock Hill Designs
71. Lynne, Island Girl's Insights
72. Chas, One Woman's Haven
73. Chas, One Woman's Haven
74. Ruthie, Rose Works Jewelry
75. Elizabeth, Turquoise Sky
76. Maire, Maire Dodd
77. Janet, Singing Woods
78. Eileen, Dorset Hill Beads
79. Julie, Miss Kitten's Jewels
80. Joann, Jo's Jewels
81. Patti, PJ Clark Designs
82. Mel, Kookie Designs
83. Erin, Every Heart Crafts
84. Dale, Flights of Fancy
85. Dee, Runako Designs
.
Website: http://www.storenvy.com/CreativeWishes
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CreativeWishes
My Gardening Exploits: http://kellasvegeplotandothermusings.blogspot.com/
Oh what a lovely job you did with your bead soup components. I love it!
ReplyDeleteWow Kella!!! It is so beautiful!!! Your pioece exceeded all my expectations! I love the use of the ribbon, and the little chain around pendant - very pretty! Thank you for such a lovely work with my beads!
ReplyDeleteAs for me, I am very ashamed, but I am running a little late with your beads. I will have to post it this evening after work.
I love what you came up with...I also had a few starts and stops with my necklace.
ReplyDeleteHi Rickie, nice to meet you, thanks for popping by and for commenting, I just checked out your reveal and in one word: STUNNING!! By the way what were you doing up at that hour of the morning, I never expected my first comment to be from the States. Hope you have a rested day.
ReplyDeleteHey Zu, I am so pleased you like it, as I didn't want to let your piece down, thanks again for sharing your lovely creation and I look forward to seeing your reveal. Hope your day is a good one.
Hello Lisa, thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comments, I do hope you'll visit again soon. I'll be sure to check out yours.
Very pretty Kella! I love the addition of the two chains that hang below the pendant. I like the black/gray/white color palette too, very different!
ReplyDeleteWell, I have to say, you worked really hard and this piece is worth all the effort!!! It's gorgeous! It's so beautiful and elegant!
ReplyDeleteOk I have just blown the morning reading Bead Soup Party reveals and thought I would take a break to answer comments I recieved and to get myself some lunch.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lorelei for your lovely comments, I'm a big fan of your work, so that you like what I have done means a lot. I'll be visiting your own soon as when I come back from making my lunch I'll be moving on to 'L' in the list of blogs to visit.
Thanks Erin it certainly was a labour of love but as you said it was so very worth it. I thought your work was absaloutely stunning.
I LOVE the idea of using ribbon. I've been experimenting with it myself and it gives such a feminine look. I really like what you've done with the necklace, congrats on a job well done!
ReplyDeleteThe end result is amazing! I love that you used the ribbon, it is a perfect compliment to all the other elements,plus so feminine at the same time.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
GORGEOUS! Its elegant and a bit funky at the same time. You are so creative! Cheers :)
ReplyDeleteI really like how you framed that gorgeous focal with the chain. Nice work!
ReplyDeleteOk so another break from blog hopping is needed as I have to go collect my daugter from school but thought I would respond to any comments left for me.
ReplyDeleteBellajoya and Judy, thanks for popping by I love working with ribbon but I have to remind myself to not get into a rut and use the same elemnts over and over again. It certainly worked for this piece though.
Beth and Melanie, thank you both for popping by and for your sweet comments.
I hope to see you all again here from time to time.
Now I must go get the kid, then the blog hopping recommences.
What a lovely necklace! And, I think the ribbon adds a nice touch - pretty but not so busy that it takes away from that gorgeous focal bead!
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job with those beads,Kella, setting off the focal perfectly. And such a nice use of the ribbon too. Like your photographs as well.
ReplyDeleteGood job
This is one of my favorites so far. I love how you put it together~ classy and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThere isn't a part of this necklace I don't love! The ribbon, the wire link work & the chains framing the pendant, really inspiring!
ReplyDeleteI love that you took very simple elements and made a show-stopping necklace with them. Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteWell I have completed the list and written down all the blogs I visited which hadn't updated their blogs as yet so I can check them out tomorrow. So I have popped back here to read and respond to any comments waiting for me.
ReplyDeleteHello Katie and Lyn, thanks for visiting and leaving such complimentary comments.
Hi Julianna, your comment made me grin like a Cheshire cat, thanks!
Greetings Boot~C and Heather thanks for popping by also and for appreciating how I used the elements to create this piece, it certainly was a challenge and from the comments I got so far I think I did well.
Thanks again everyone for visiting and commenting (those are always nice to recieve) and I do hope you'll return from time to time.
I'll pop back into read and respond to comments as the day goes by but in the mean time dinner has to be made and homework to supervise, so enjoy the rest of the Party, I'll catch you all laters.
I like the textures you incorporated into this striking necklace! It's got soft and dreamy mixed with elegant and classy! I love it. I would definitely wear this! I understand about working with a piece that doesn't "feel quite right." I've been there so many times but fresh perspective changes everything! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI love what you did with what you were given, it has a wonderful exotic feel to it! The chain around the focal is cool too, and I bet you look beautiful wearing it!
ReplyDeleteHave fun at the Party!
Kate
Organic Odysseys #46
So lovely! A beautiful mix of elements and you really highlighted the focal well!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Kella. I love the addition of the ribbon in your design. The chains are a great finish to the focal.
ReplyDeleteThat is fantastic! You took what could have been simple and made it elegant and interesting! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteThanks for being a part of the party -- we'll do it again soon!
that came out so beautifully! sophisticated and wonderful... nice combination of everything you used!
ReplyDeleteSo pretty! The simplicity of the colors is wonderful with the different textures of chain, bead, and ribbon. I love it!
ReplyDeleteLove It Kella! Very Pretty!
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome to stop by for a cup of “Spring” soup on my blog.
http://www.mariagrimes.blogspot.com
Dinner is done kids are bathed and I'm free again for a while at least, so popped back in to respond to any new comments.
ReplyDeleteCathryn
Kate
Michelle
Loretta
Lori
Mariedodd
Jenny
Maria
Welcome and thanks for popping by and for leaving such lovely comments, your pleasure in the piece makes me really happy that I stuck with it till the very end to make it right.
The challenge was great one and thanks again Lori for a great party, I'll definately be joining in the next one.
Elegant came to mind...what a great way to feature the focal bead. Great job!
ReplyDeletein one word elegant.......simple and understated and definitely elegant!
ReplyDeleteKella
ReplyDeleteYour piece is absolutely beautiful! I love the combination of black and silver...and could see wearing this pretty necklace on a summer day with a sundress (especially with that ribbon). It was so interesting to read the background as to how you came to this design...all of the attempts and the end result. And by now you must be tired and in bed after a full day of Bead Soup blog hopping. Your necklace is beautiful, you must be so proud - no wonder you're going to keep it!
That is lovely, very pretty and elegant. The ribbon is perfect with that beautiful focal bead.
ReplyDeleteThis look beautiful Kella! I love how you used the ribbon and chain!
ReplyDeleteTerri
ReplyDeleteMoonlitfantaseas
Cindy
Jo
Artisan Clay
Hi and welcome, thanks for visiting and commeting on my piece, your collective comments leave me humbled, especially from such talented artist as yourselves, thanks so very much.
Cindy I wish I was in bed but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a night owl so bed is about 2hrs away if you go by my usual track record.
I think the ribbon was a great idea, so simple but so effective and the loop of chain in front accents the focal very well.
ReplyDeleteI really really love what you ended up with! And I thank you for sharing that it is sometimes difficult to come up with designs...sometimes people think that it is so easy and it comes naturally, but that is not always the case. And I am secretly glad that soemone else struggled just like me! Monochromatic colors are often hard to work with. And I like that focal very much. Great use of ribbon in the piece! Thanks for sharing this heaping serving of great soup! Be sure to stop by and taste some of mine. Enjoy the day! Erin
ReplyDeleteWOW! My dog, lying next to me jumped when I saw your finished piece and said, "WOW!"
ReplyDeleteYour piece is absolutley stunning. So simple and elegant.
Hasn't this been fun?
Emanda
www.ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com
Well its after one in the morning so I think its time I go to bed but thought I would check in one more time.
ReplyDeleteMary K.
TesoriTrovati
EmandaJ
Thanks for stopping by and for leaving your confident inspiring comments, I plan to take heed of every lovely thing said by all those who left comments and channel it into my future work.
You all are so very talented and the kindness and welcoming spirit of this online beading community is just great.
Thanks again everybody and I'll see you all in the morning for some more blog hopping.
I really like what you did with the colours~! So pretty!!!
ReplyDeleteKella, this is stunning! I've always loved black and grey together! So classy looking!!
ReplyDeleteVERY nice what you've done with the bits! I especially love that you've kept the monochromatic color scheme. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteSophisticated and elegant. Beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, Rekella... Zu's pendant is absolutely stunning & the necklace that you've designed is quite beautiful... perfectly highlighting Zu's work. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteWell good morning, my fellow partyers. The big kid is off to school and I just read & empty my mailbox of the 100+ comments generated by all you party goers out there.
ReplyDeleteAnd thought I'll quickley respond to any new comments I had recieved overnight before I go blog hopping again to all I didn't see yesterday.
Thanks
Janet
Jo Ann
Laurel
JBird
Julie
for stopping by and for your beautiful comments. It is a pleasure to know my work is pleasing to others, thanks again for letting me know your thoughts.
Well I'm off to blog hop, will see you all laters.
This is Lovely Kella, the ribbon really finishes the beautiful necklace off
ReplyDeleteIt's beautiful and sooo elegant! I love how you used the ribbon:)
ReplyDeleteI really like it when an artist combines two different types of materials, like the ribbon and chain. It adds so much texture and depth to the piece. You did a great job.
ReplyDeletei love this necklace..i know what you mean about reworking the soup piece..my partner sent lovely elements which appeared to be an easy necklace ..not..i redid it several times..
ReplyDeletethis has been such a learning experience..loved it.
This is a very black tie beautiful pc! I can imagine it with a great outfit!!
ReplyDeleteHello everyone again, hows the blog hopping going. I'm quite proud of myself as I've visited every blog on the list, completed about 4hrs ago, only a small few who have not posted as yet to visit over the next few days to see their entry.
ReplyDeleteSo thought before my eveing duties take over i better pop in and say hi to my most recent visitors.
Welcome to my blog:
Mel P
Pearl and Pebble
Libby
Spirited Earth
Janet
Thanks for all your complimentary comments, it means a lot and does a world of good for my confidence.
I have truly enjoyed this creative process, I have learn't so much and have been inspired by all the artistic energy of the other participants. It has been great fun and only hope we don't have to wait too long till the next party is thrown.
Toodles for now, Ill pop back in later once the house inhabitants have settled.
Hi Kella, I was so pleased to hear from you on my textile arty blog (Carolyn Saxby Mixed Media ...). Your jewellery is very beautiful! You asked me about Tyvek. I'm not sure where you are but it can be bought on-line from more contemporary art and textile suppliers and can usually be found at creative shows etc. I often buy it from Ario and Art Van Go and even Ebay. I hope you find some and have a go. It's so much fun!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Carolyn ♥
ps. I'm having a giveaway on my blog ... ends on Valentine's Day! Tell your readers. Everyone is welcome to enter!
You did a great job with the components! I love what you finished with. I think it might have been fun to take pictures of your work along the way. Great job sticking with it. You should be happy with the finished product!
ReplyDelete1.14am Why do I do this to myself. Well since I'm up I might as well check in and reply to any new comments, eh!
ReplyDeleteHi Carolyn, thanks for popping by and for your lovely comments, your work is so beautiful, I'm blown away by your creativity.
Thanks as well for the info regarding the Tyvek, I'll check it out further.
Hi Wildvanilla, thank you too for your comments, I also thought it would have been cool to take photos of my journey but by the time the thought occured to me I was on the second to last attempt. But don't worry the failures are burnt into my subconscious and so hopefully I won't make those mistakes a second time ;)
Hi Kella,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful necklace you made. It looks like it was an effortless achievement but so interesting to learn how it really came about. I love the way you framed the pendant with the chain. And I like your chatty blog style too.
Hi Mary thanks for stopping by and thanks for your lovely comments about my piece and my blog, hope to see more of you, keep well.
ReplyDeleteHi Kella, I finally made it your blog and it was well worth the wait! Your necklace is so beautiful, I love the black ribbon and the chain swag under the focal, very modern, yet Victorian in mood. Fabulous artwork!
ReplyDeleteHi Kella, you rock. What a pretty piece and so elegant. Take a picture and show us how it looks when you wear it - I am sure it must be great. And sweet that you answer all the comments. I usually do that too in my blog, but I am still hopping around and it's day 4 !!!
ReplyDeleteSo so very creative! Beautiful piece!
ReplyDeleteI think what you did is perfect!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I did not miss this one! What you made is fantastic. I love monochromatic designs you lent such sophistication and elegance to the already stunning focal. I would wear that in a minute. I also love that surprising bit of chain on the bottom of the focal. Bravo to you!!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteSharon
Nicki
Maria
Missficklemedia
Lisa
Thanks for visting and sharing your thoughts on my piece.
It has been great fun reading and rereading all the comments left by everyone. It has been interesting to hear how different elements stand out to differing people.
Some of the ways it has been described didn't even occur to me (I guess I was just to close to the project). So thanks again everyone for sharing their insight into how the piece relates to them.
PS Nicki I would love to take a picture with it on but the other household members seem to lack the ability to take a photo in focus :¬|
Very nice design and I love that you stayed true to the colors!
ReplyDeletesorry, i'm still trying to get to all the blogs. i love what you did, a clever design!
ReplyDeleteHi
ReplyDeleteLynette and Marbella, thank you both for popping by and for your comments, Lynette it would let me do nothing else but stay true to the colours, it wanted no competition :)
This is just stunning. You really pulled everything together beautifully. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHi Linda, thanks for visiting and thanks for your postive comments, your lampwork beads are stunning.
ReplyDeleteHi kella, that seems like a very exciting project with lot's of lovely feedback. The necklace & earrings are beautiful, well done.
ReplyDeleteM x
HI Maureen, you are so right it was a great project to be apart of and I look forward to the next installment.
ReplyDeleteWhen you get a chance you should check out some of the other participants' reveals, such stunning work it was a real honour to be part of such a talented group.
very beautiful!
ReplyDeleteHello Deealexx, welcome and thank you for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment. I'll be sure to check out yours later today.
ReplyDelete